This is the first in a series of blogs where I will be taking one particular image and talking about how it was made. I thought I would talk about one that I made today first.

Usually I like to leave my images for at least two weeks before they see the light of day, this is to try and remove any initial self bias I have towards it. It is amazing how tempting it is to publish work because you spent a long time on it rather than because it is actually any good. Not looking at an image for a period of time helps to bring back perspective. So having said that, I have completely broken my rule with this image

A week long heatwave is beginning to break down and the night just gone was filled with thunderstorms. The air is warm and humid still and the clouds are low, slow moving and patchy - this is a good mix for long exposure photography. I spent about an hour trying to get this one probably double that editing it. Spending that long editing an image is a sure sign that you failed somewhat in the field. Here is the image.

"Behind The Scenes" By Paul Nolan

This is a composite of a 37 second and a 10 second exposure.

The 10 second portion is mostly the sky. I wanted the sky from that exposure as it included the sun shape visible and not over exposed behind the clouds. It also was short enough so as not to reflect the movement of the earth making the sun smear across the frame, which is so easy to do with long exposures with the sun and moon.

The rest of the image, the 37 second portion, if I am honest was the only one that really was of acceptable sharpness in the driftwood. Annoyingly, boats kept going by and their bow waves cause the driftwood to bob up and down ruining the effect I was trying to achieve.

I wanted to get all three bridges on this part of the river in this frame and they are there, albeit Richmond Bridge, the farthest away, is very small. 

I resisted the temptation to over saturate this image as it was actually quite a bleak morning. 

The editing took so long as I wanted to remove a portion of the original image where the concrete river bank was showing in the bottom right. It detracted from the composition but was a pain to remove.

I have added image  this to "The River" gallery.

Comment